Fostering can be an incredibly rewarding career. And we’re here to help you get the very best out of it.
Whether you want to gain new qualifications, be trained to receive specialist placements or develop your fostering skills further, our training team will help you develop and progress in the direction you want to go in.
Types of training we offer
As a Foster Care Associates carer, you’ll have the opportunity to attend a wide range of courses, which are held regularly at our local offices across the country. Topics include:
- Child protection
- Managing difficult behaviour
- Identity and self esteem
- Life story work
- Steps to adulthood
- Young people and money
- Working with children who have been abused
- Health care of fostered children and young people
- Education of fostered children and young people
- Empowering children and young people
And as you progress on your fostering journey, you’ll have even more opportunities to further your skills through our advanced training.
Therapeutic foster care training
Living with the young person you care for means you get to know them really well and can help them begin to trust in adults again. However, to do this, we know you need specialist training and support. That’s why we run a number of training courses that teach therapeutic knowledge and skills.
Our one and two-day therapeutic courses include:
- Understanding attachment and attachment difficulties
- Understanding and responding to complex trauma
- Brain development in infancy
- Understanding and managing self-harm
- Responding to sexually harmful behaviour
- Introduction to reflective and therapeutic practice
We also offer weekly group training sessions including ADAPT, which stands for Attachment Difficulties and Parenting Therapeutically. These sessions are run by a therapist and offer carers the opportunity to support one another and learn from one another’s experiences.
Find out more about training opportunities with Foster Care Associates
To find out more about the training and career development available to you and how you can start fostering with Foster Care Associates, please call us on 0800 434 6000 or fill-in our online enquiry form.